Thursday 26 April 2012

My Slimpod Journey - Reflections - 6 months in

Month One - the slimpods kicked in almost immediately noticing little changes, not obsessing about food as much, not eatintg as much, not snacking. Little changes were happening daily. My confidence so slowly returning. No longer a stress head.

Month Two - felt major blip - eating all the wrong foods, but looking back I feel I was getting them out of my system so that I could move on.  I mean I wasn't on a diet so I could eat what I liked right? So I did. Gradually eating foods I love high fat gorgeous foods, but gradually in moderation.  This blip or learning curb lasted 6 weeks. I gained 7lb. - Yes I was concerned but I still felt changes so I knew things were happening so continued to find my positives throughout this stage.  I ate peanut butter on toast,I ate bacon sandwiches cos I love them!  I ate family foods we could all enjoy. I ate fish and chips. I enjoyed every morsel as there were no longer good and bad foods. I ate all sorts really. This blip as I called it actually looking back was the biggest learning curb I experienced in my slimpod journey.  I learnt what foods I prefered. Healthy foods. It was a process many emotional eaters need to go through to work out whats right.  This way we are not on a plan, no wagon to fall off, we've made the decision ourselves :) how cool is this?  I loved the new me that was emerging. All my friends could see it too. Yep the scales said FAILURE but my mind said no I'm not!  I had this fight for weeks.

This little stage - so many give up. I do see why the weight goes on we are obsessed by the figures on the scales. We really are. Crazy world we live in because I lose 23.5 inches but only 7lb.  Does this make me a failure then? Just because the number on the scales wasn't moving ??  My dress sizes were dropping, I was healthier, happier, calmer, more positive. So I carried on.. I wanted to see if there was a pot of gold at the end of this feel good rainbow :) I had said all along it had 6 months to prove itself.

I've read it so many times. 'They don't work for me' 'Waste of Money' 'how can a ten min recording work' 'wish I hadn't bothered'  each time I read this it saddens me.  They had no faith they never gave it a chance. I can't help everyone, but these comments are everywhere.  Where if these people have continued doing 'exactly as it says on the tin' they too would be where I am now :) In such an amazing place with food.

Mid January - Time to take control - I reset my goals. My goals were wishy washy, my subconscious had no focus, I was floundering around getting nowhere. I made more positives pod related.  This reinforces with your subconscious that these little changes are steps in the right direction - towards goal.


This turned out to be my turning point.  I set my first goal to get into my size 20 jeans by end of April. I reached my goal 10th Feburary.

I set my 2nd goal to get into my size 18 jeans by end May - today I can do them up but they are a wee bit tight today is 26th April :)


I noticed I didn't like sausage rolls anymore. I had a bite of one, and for 24 hours I felt like i'd sucked on a piece of lard. It was gross.  I couldn't eat fish and chips... all I could taste and smell was grease. I couldn't stand the smell of greasy food. I'd often choose slimming world chips cooked with a knorr stockcube and frylight or olive oil over a takeway and pour a sweet and sour mug shot over the top.  Jackie chips and mugshot or egg and beans got me through several weeks :)

During all the time what I called my diet head kept rearing its head. You should be on a diet, you should be losing weight, you should be eating this you should be eating that. But I kept squishing it.  I just carried on.. my 6 months were not up.

I also started listening to fit pod and walking more :) subtle changes, from 30 mins a day to walking 4-5 miles most days :) I walked 176 miles for lent :)  In April so far I've walked over 60 miles and it would have been more but I hurt my back I continued my walking and Leslie Sansone DVDs but not as much as I have been.  This couch potato who has always says shes allergic to exercise now enjoys it. I've finally found exercise that suits me.  No gym membership , no expensive equipment, two feet and comfy shoes, or bare feet and abit of Leslie ! Can't beat it. In fact I can't wait to finish typing this post to do my new Leslie 2 mile walk!

Around month 4 - I emailed Sandra to tell her slimpods were life changing. I'd seen the light at the end of a very very dark tunnel. I hadn't realised how low I felt until I emerged from it, feeling happy, confident, calm, positive. OMG how positive was I? I felt fantastic. But still hadn't lost weight.  Was I a failure?  Nope the inches were coming off and I had a new relationship with food.  It didn't rule me anymore. It really didn't. For the first time in my life.  I was in control of food. Food was not in control of me!  Liberating.

The rest of my changes are in my blog, but I wanted to summarise the beginning for those thinking 'its not working' for those thinking 'its a waste of money' for those just starting on their journeys.  Whats my advice??

Give the slimpods 6 months of your life to prove themselves

Do exactly as it says on the tin - follow the 3 golden rules they are there for a reason

Find those positives even on a hard day

Set good solid achievable goals

Have faith they work. They do work but each of us has our own baggage. One cannot change ingrained habits over night. Its scientific fact it takes around 21 days... but the 21 days is not the end of it. We can't expect miracles if we've turned to food for comfort, consolation, for years can we? It takes time. We need to learn to eat normally. I have learnt to eat normally. It took me around 4 months. It might take you 1 month, it might take you 5 but it will work if you have faith and keep going.  :)

Would I recommend slimpods? YES! OMG YES! I want everyone to feel how I feel! I want everyone to see theres a light at the end of the tunnel! I want everyone to be normal around food.

I was a binge eater.....notice that word 'was' its gone forever. Good ridance! do I miss it?? NO!!!! I love the new me!


I have just weighed and measured for month 6 - I have lost just over 5lb in weight and a further 5.5 inches. I am now nearly a size 18!  I was a size 20+ top and 22-24 bottom.  I have now lost 7lb in weight and 23.5 inches since 11th January when I reset those goals.

I haven't just gained a smaller bottom, a healthier lifestyle, I am happy.... I am positive.... I feel comfy in my own skin.... my self esteem is not at rock bottom..... I love me! I love the new me! and I don't know about you but I cannot wait to see what the next 6 months bring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Oh Jacks, you are my thinspiration. I don't get the logic of losing so many inches but only 7lbs but the pictures don't lie and your looking fab. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a thinspiration!!! Pictures tell a 1000 words - but do not lie. Long may the pods continue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ahve just read your whole blog! You are an inspiration, thank you for sharing your journey x

    Katt :)

    ReplyDelete